Sunday, July 11, 2010

Entrepreneurial Steez: Rochelle Sterling

     Meet Rochelle Sterling. A twenty three year old fashion designer from Scarborough with her very own clothing line called RJS. For those of you who don't know, this is your chance to familiarize yourself with one of Toronto's very unique, very talented, up and coming fashion designers.

How would you describe yourself as a child?
As a child, I was very energetic and daring lol. I loved being mischievous, so I can laugh at the end results. If I wasn't playing around, I was very much focused on art/crafts and creating children stories. At the beginning of grade one, I was very much into sports and track & field; made it to every team and event.
Any motivational words that have helped you in your work?
A personal quote of mine is "Dare to be Different!"
Can you recall a specific experience that helped you become successful at your chosen career?
My very first job was at a small dairy product store called Reid's Dairy. I was responsible for serving ice cream, slushies and milk shakes and cashing and bagging all the other products in the store. Overall, the experience wasn't bad because I was shy and learned to get comfortable with speaking and learn how to work quickly in a fast paced in environment much like the fashion industry.


Education: I attended Seneca college (Newnham campus) studying fashion arts (FAA)
Could you provide a brief summary of your journey so far?
I learned at an early age that I have to be comfortable in my own skin to successfully progress in my endeavors. My inspiration to design began with me and my size; I currently stand at 5'11. I made it my number one goal to become a fashion designer so I could cater to everyone, no matter the size. My first opportunity came after my first year in college with a company that specialized in women's and men's varsity jackets. Once I graduated college, I began attempting to push my clothing line into the industry. Today, I'm proud to say that that I have been showcased in 8 shows throughout the GTA and developed a loving and strong fan base and clientele.What is the most discouraging obstacle you've encountered?
The toughest obstacle would be gaining the respect from members within the Fashion and Art community, especially the veterans in the industry, as a professional designer. I graduated college at the age of 19, so I was considered to be "too young" but at the same time it was my age, ambitious attitude and the garments I produced is what made them interested in me.


What are the most important lessons you've learned?
I've learned to step back and analyze and never give up. There's always a way to succeed and it doesn't have to be achieved in a standard way. Although the process may take longer than expected in some cases, the end results are so rewarding.

Who do you lean on when in need of support?
When I'm in need of support I pray first. I live by the lesson that god helps those who help themselves; so next I reach out to my family and close friend/business partner Jackie. My mom may not know much about fashion, but she has always given me beneficial advice that I can use for almost any situation.
 

Where do you see yourself in the future? 
At this time, I'm working on a joint project with another designer and working on new business plan to reach another plateau in my career. Afterward, I see myself owning several boutiques throughout the world and working on other aspirations such as writing informative novels and TV shows.
What advice can you give for people who are interested in pursuing a similar career?
Ambition! Ambition! Ambition! Once you have that in your heart nothing can stop you and ask a million questions if you have to. Another great tip is being amongst others who are within the arts. Whether its photography or music, their pursuit is very much similar to fashion designing; feed from the positivity and energy around you.


     Well, that brings us to the end of our interview. I will make sure to regularly post updates regarding any new projects she has coming up so stay posted! And make sure to do like Rochelle and dare to be different!

Below are a few pictures of some of Rochelle's work.

Rochelle's Contact Info
Facebook: Rochelle Rjs Sterling
Email: RJS.fashion.gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment